Monday, October 3, 2011


BP_3 DivShare

The tool I chose is DivShare, which can be found at http://divshare.com. I began using DivShare about three years ago when online storage became necessary for doing professional development training. I began teaching teachers how to create podcasts and video podcasts and then publish them to their own blogs and wikis using the embed code created by third party online programs. It was often a multi-step process to make it all happen. 



DivShare allows you to store all types of files online. As a free DivShare member you are provided with up to 5 GB of storage space and 10 GB of download capacity. Stored files can be audio and MP3’s, video of all types, documents, and photos. Okay, what’s the deal? You can get the same thing using iDisk, Sky Drive, Google Docs, and even my school’s shared drive. Why Divshare? Because Divshare not only stores your files online, as the others, it gives you the capability to edit, set security, embed code and sharing links, send a file to a forum, and email a file. These features come in handy when you are creating blogs and wikis in a simple stepped process.   

Today many of the file sharing sites has some of these features but often others have access to these files as well.  Divshare allows you your own online storage space and security. It actually could be the predecessor to iOS. Here’s how it works.

1.     You create a document or media file using whatever program you desire on your computer or other device and store it in an appropriate location.
2.     Login to your free or paid plan Divshare account.
3.     Go to you Member Dashboard, which categorizes and displays all of your files, videos, audios, or documents in neat tabs.


4.     Select the category and file you want and depending on the type of file you can Tag, Embed, Share, or Download the file.



5.     Below is an example of a file embedded in this blog post.




This is an example of the embed code inserted in this post. This audio file was created with Vozme a text to speech online program.

I have used DivShare to support my teacher training in many content areas and technology related subjects. I recommend that you try it if you can not find an online application that offers the features that it does.

2 comments:

  1. Bill,
    This is a great Web tool! I will have to go explore it. I am also going to explore "Build Your WIld Self" and "Babble." You know so many Web 2.0 tools. I will be starting an online community of practice site for my AR Project. I have several choices of tools I could use: Google sites, wikispaces, and a friend suggested Posterous. I would love to have your input.
    Great job on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill, as always you have all the best tools! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. divShare is a great tool and one that I will look into, especially for the file sharing capabilities.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete