Saturday, October 8, 2011

PE_1 iMovie

I have dabbled in iMovie for last two years and have basically figured out its features from trial and error. More error than trail. I had always considered myself a Windows Movie Maker wizard but until iMovie I had no idea that right out of the box I could aspire to be Steven Spielberg. Not really. I enjoy making movies and I often take every opportunity to get a chance to make a video or teach a video class. But as I have so often said, I am a life-long learner and this activity of participating in a Lynda.com essential training on iMovie proved it. I thought I knew it all or at least most of it. My list of newly acquired knowledge from going through Lynda's video training is exhaustive.

Let's see I learned that you can set how you want to capture images from your devices when you connect them to your Macbook. A simple process of telling iPhoto that a connecting camera opens a specific application. I thought it was by default and unchangeable. One of the first new things I learned was how to officially use markers. I have hundreds of GB's of unused and unwanted video clips clogging up my Macbook and server hard-drive because I did not know how to use markers until now. Knowing that I can mark clip rejected or favorite will make it easy to clean up my source files. I have clips from training sessions, workshops, family trips and gatherings with hundreds of scenes to sift through...not any more. I now know that I can set up Keywords and use the People Finder features.

I have filled up my hard drive on my personal Macbook because of the videos that I have shot. Unknowingly I transferred iMovie project files and associated clips to other sources for storage but because I did not know how to correctly move those files to other drives I have broken all associated links and now have to work additional harder to put them back together through iMovie.  Lynda.com where have you been all my Mac-Life?

No comments:

Post a Comment